BY DEEPA SRINIVASAVARADAN
Developmental Passports can be used by parents to track the health, wellness, and development of their child. These are available in both English and Spanish for families.
A STATE EXAMPLE
The Child Developmental Passport in NJ was developed in collaboration with the State Ambassador of the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC’s) Learn the Signs, Act Early Program and the Help Me Grow and Early Childhood Comprehensive Systems Initiative of the NJ Department of Children & Families (NJ DCF). It can be used along with CDC’s Milestone Moments Booklet.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE DEVELOPMENTAL PASSPORT?
The Developmental Passport has many helpful components for parents of children, both with and without special needs. These include:
• Description of Developmental Monitoring and Screening
• Well-Child Visit Tracker (height, weight, immunizations, etc.) Note: This tracker also includes head circumference tracking which is crucial information, given the current Zika crisis.
• Developmental Tracker (developmental and/or autism screening, including results and referrals for follow-up)
• Notes Section (general growth and development)
• Contact information for NJ’s Early Intervention, Project Child Find, Statewide Parent Advocacy Network, and Help Me Grow
(Note: While this Child Developmental Passport has contact information for New Jersey resources, it can be used by families in any state or territory.)
By using the Child Developmental Passport, families can keep track of their child’s general health and growth as well as any concerns with development and reaching milestones. Research indicates that early intervention is the key to best outcomes for young children. The National Center for Parent Information and Resources’ Parent Center Hub has an overview and key contacts in states for families to call for early intervention.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Deepa Srinivasavaradan is the CDC’s Act Early Ambassador for NJ and a NJ LEND Trainee. She is also a Family & Professional Partnership Strategist at the Statewide Parent Advocacy Network: www.spanadvocacy.org
TRACKING CHILD DEVELOPMENT & HEALTH AND WELLNESS : RESOURCES
NJ’S CHILD DEVELOPMENTAL PASSPORT
MILESTONE MOMENTS BOOKLETS